Sunday, May 30, 2010

Review: A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)

Directed by Samual Bayer
Written by Wesley Strick and Eric Heisserer

Starring Jackie Earle Haley, Kyle Gallner, Rooney Mara, Katie Cassidy, Thomas Dekker, Kellan Lutz and Clancy Brown.

"Why are you screaming? I haven't even cut you yet."

For me, reviewing the 2010 remake of Wes Craven's 1984 original A Nightmare on Elm Street is a difficult task. I saw the original in the theaters when it was originally released and have been a fan of Wes Craven, Freddy, and the Nightmare series ever since. I've seen every one, good and bad, as they came out; for each, the director (Craven), the character (Freddy) and the series, success has had it peaks and valleys. Robert England as Freddy Krueger, both as the original bad-ass and the later day wise-ass, is ingrained in my brain cells. I have magazines, comics, action figures, dvds of the movie and the character. So, I come to Samual Bayer's 2010 remake with very jaded and biased eyes. Keeping that in check and trying to review the movie honestly has proven to be quite daunting.

The casting of Jackie Earle Haley as Freddy Krueger really sold me on the film when it was announced, as it approached its release and trailers started making there way into theaters and online. His turn in Watchmen was a real highlight and it felt like he had the right demeanor and acting chops to do the job, especially when the previous actor, the beloved Robert England is still around, active and very capable of continuing the role - a replacement had to have something up his sleeve. More-so than with other modern movie monsters (Jason, Michael, Leatherface), Freddy had a particular and defined face AND voice. If the shoes weren't big enough, the sweater was going to be even tougher for Haley to fill. The rest of the cast appeared to capable enough; I've enjoyed Thomas Dekker and Katie Cassidy in previous roles, and who doesn't love Clancey Brown.

That was going into seeing Nightmare, coming out after was a different story. I found myself enjoying the film, but not really connecting with it. But, it wasn't made for me; it was made for the next generation of horror fans. I'm not entirely sold on the idea they got the best experience they could have with this series, but it was solid, fairly well made and had its share of chills and thrills. In the end, I felt it didn't have a great deal of atmosphere and I was never in fear for the characters and rarely cared. Like many films, it's difficult to believe the 20-something actors as being high school students. I also didn't buy into the attempted switcheroo with Freddy's character. The whole back story, with the more-implied-than-shown reveal, didn't feel very genuous and fell entirely flat. Some choices were interesting, such as the micronaps which led some of the more rewarding visuals. When Cassidy's character Chris fell asleep and then into Freddy's nightmare realm in the middle of class, was another visual treat. Haley's performance, and the Freddy makeup, were excellent and kept me interested as the movie continued. I also enjoyed Freddy being more of a bad-ass, but then, I'm comparing again. In the end, it was weaker than it was strong.

Since, for me, any Nightmare on Elm Street comes with so much baggage - remake or not, I'm in no position to think of it without comparing. It didn't live up to my initial reactions to seeing the original in tone nor atmosphere. It was however much better than many of the original series' entries, at least professionally - trying cast emotion aside. I've seen a lot worse but desire a lot better. I found it to be a solid entry, a little shy on the character development and little actual scares to speak of; but, it was a lot of fun and a good ride. Yeah, it's a renter.

6.5 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment